7-month-old baby dies of Benadryl overdose at babysitter's house at Aliamanu Military Reservation
Court documents released Monday show a seven-month-old girl died of a Benadryl overdose while at a babysitter's house at Aliamanu Military Reservation in February.
The babysitter -- 41-year-old Dixie Villa -- appeared in a Honolulu courtroom Monday morning. She is charged with manslaughter in the death of Abigail Lobisch.
Villa told police she was babysitting Abigail and her brother, as well as her own two children overnight. She says they spent the day at a pool, and noticed the kids were sunburned, so she put lotion on them. The morning after she noticed Abigail's skin looked splotchy and her body cold.
Villa's expected back in court in August.
Abigail's blood tested positive for nearly double the amount of Benadryl than that reported in other deadly overdose cases in infants.
Benadryl should not be given to children without checking with a doctor -- especially to those under the age of six, or to make a child go to sleep.
What's not clear in court documents who gave Abigail the Benadryl.