UPDATE 12:23 P.M.

The Department of Land and Natural Resources confirms that 34 people were arrested at the base of Mauna Kea Wednesday morning, 33 were kupuna and one was a caregiver.

All who were arrested were cited for 'obstruction of a government operation' and released.

According to Dan Dennison, DLNR Senior Communications Manager, law enforcement continues to plan and prepare for movement of equipment up Mauna Kea. 

They say safety continues to be their top priority. The Governor's emergency proclamation gives the state the power and flexibility to close more areas and to restrict access.

The proclamation has a detailed map of area and jurisdiction, according to the DLNR.

A portable water truck had just arrived at the base of Mauna Kea around noon on Thursday.


UPDATE 7:35 A.M.

Police will now have more authority over Mauna Kea after Governor Ige issued an emergency proclamation.

Governor Ige says he issued the proclamation to ensure the safety and welfare of people across the state of Hawai'i.

He also said he is committed to enforcing the law and seeing the construction of a Thirty Meter Telescope happen.

According to the language of the proclamation that could mean using the National Guard.

The demonstrators have already faced a wave of police officers from the Big Island as well as officers from O'ahu and Maui Wednesday.

Demonstrators chanted, sang, and cried out to the officers but no physical or violent confrontations occurred.

So far, there have been no other arrests besides the 33 kupuna from Wednesday morning.

"Law enforcement has been extraordinarily patient and respectful towards protesters, however even though law enforcement has done everything it can to talk and reason with protesters, the protesters continue to break the law," Governor David Ige said.

"We are very concerned about the Governor's irresponsible declaration for an emergency, signing an emergency declaration this afternoon. Very very very shortly after law enforcement retreated. I'd say by the time he gave his announcement we were no more than an hour removed from the officers leaving and so he had to have signed it fairly quickly upon that happening," TMT opponent Kaho'okahi Kanuha said. 

It is expected that numerous police officers will show up again Thursday.


Although no physical or violent altercations occurred, Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) opponents raised their voices when a swarm of local police officers arrived at Mauna Kea Wednesday.

Officers from Hawai'i Island as well as O'ahu and Maui -- equipped with riot gear -- stood in an hours-long stand off with the kia’i or protectors of Mauna Kea. 

Eventually, the activists and the police reached a truce and the officers left without arresting anyone. Activists call it a temporary victory.

As of 9 p.m. Wednesday evening, the mass of police officers have NOT returned to the base of Mauna Kea. It’s not clear when they’ll be back.