Someone who ate a slug as a dare was diagnosed with rat lungworm disease. 

That case is one of three new cases confirmed by the State Health Department. 

All of the people diagnosed are mainland residents who visited the Big Island separately.

The first person got sick in December after eating the slug in East Hawaii.

Another person fell ill in January after eating homemade salads on the West side of the island.

The third person came down with symptoms February after eating unwashed produce also on the West side of the island.