MARK BAKER and NICK PERRY, Associated Press - UPDATE 9:10 p.m.
  
New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush says the death toll has increased to 49 in shootings at two mosques.
  
Bush told a news conference that a man has been charged with murder and will appear in court tomorrow. He would not say whether the same shooter was responsible for both attacks.
  
A man who earlier claimed responsibility said he was a 28-year-old Australian and described anti-immigrant motives in a manifesto.
  
Police earlier said four people had been taken into custody, and one had been identified as Australian. However, Bush didn't mention the other people.
  
Bush clarified that police had found two improvised explosive devices in one car. He said they had disabled one and were in the process of disabling the second.

--

UPDATE 8:40 P.M.

According to New Zealand Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, 40 people were killed in the Christchurch mosque shootings.
--

UPDATE: 6 p.m.
  
New Zealand police say they're not aware of other suspects beyond the four who have been arrested after two mosque shootings but they can't be certain.
  
Police Commissioner Mike Bush did not elaborate on the suspects who are in custody.
  
The shootings occurred at two mosques in the Christchurch area during Friday afternoon prayers.
  
A witness described multiple deaths at the Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch. A witness who heard about five gunshots at the suburban Linwood Masjid Mosque said two wounded people were carried out on stretchers.
  
___
  
UPDATE: 5:30 p.m.
  
New Zealand police say they have taken into custody three men and one woman over the shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.
  
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the events Friday afternoon "one of New Zealand's darkest days."
  
The shootings involved multiple fatalities but authorities have not said how many.
  
New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police have defused a number of improvised explosive devices found on vehicles after the mosque shootings.
  
A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a 74-page anti-immigrant manifesto in which he explained who he was and his reasoning for his actions. He said he considered it a terrorist attack.

A witness says many people have been killed in a mass shooting at a mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch; police urge people to stay indoors

Many people were killed in a mass shooting at a mosque in the New Zealand city of Christchurch on Friday, a witness said. Police have not yet described the scale of the shooting but urged people in central Christchurch to stay indoors.

Witness Len Peneha said he saw a man dressed in black enter the Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch at about 1:45 p.m. and then heard dozens of shots, followed by people running from the mosque in terror.

Peneha, who has lived next door to the mosque for about five years, said the gunman ran out of the mosque, dropped what appeared to be a semi-automatic weapon in Peneha's driveway, and fled.

Peneha said he then went into the mosque to try and help.

"I saw dead people everywhere. There were three in the hallway, at the door leading into the mosque, and people inside the mosque," he said. "It's unbelievable nutty. I don't understand how anyone could do this to these people, to anyone. It's ridiculous."