HONOLULU - 35-year-old Hawaii-based soldier, Sergeant 1st Class Ikaika Kang pleaded guilty in Federal court Wednesday of trying to help ISIS. 

Now, he could serve 25-years in prison. You may remember the image of Kang kissing what appeared to be the ISIS flag. Federal prosecutors say it's a first for Hawaii.

"This is the first case in the District of Hawaii that involves a defendant charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization," Kenji Price, U.S. district attorney said. 

July 8, 2017.

Undercover photos show Ikaika Erik Kang pledging allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham, better known as ISIS, a designated foreign terrorist group.

It wasn't the first pledge he has made, Kang is trained as an air traffic controller for the U.S. Army. 

He lived in Kunia and was stationed at Schofield Barracks. 

Investigators kept a close eye on Kang since 2016 when he became sympathetic to the terrorist group.

The same month that photo was taken, a federal grand jury indicted Kang on four counts of attempting to provide material support to ISIS. 

Kang admitted he provided classified military documents, air traffic radio frequencies, combat fighting training and a drone to undercover FBI agents he believed were members of the terrorist organization. 

Federal prosecutors say Kang taught the agents how to use the drone, track U.S. troops and he shared plans for a much larger attack.

"Expressed a desire to commit a shooting downtown and in Waikiki later that same day. Same day Kang was arrested by federal agents... Fortunately because of the proactive efforts of our law enforcement community, particularly the FBI and the prosecutors working on this case, none of that happened," Price said. 

If Judge Susan Oki Mollway accepts Kang's plea agreement, he'll serve 25 years in prison, then at least 20 years up to life of supervised release.

Kang's sentencing date is scheduled for December.

Questions regarding Kang's mental health were brought up during Wednesday's press conference but U.S. Attorney Price declined to comment.

Island News reached out to Kang's Lawyer for a response as well but have not heard back.