34-year-old Louis Landsman arrested for allegedly stabbing his mother, Charlene Landsman, was acquitted by reason of insanity Tuesday.

Charlene Landsman was working at First Hawaiian Bank in Lihue on May 17, 2018 when Louis Landsman reportedly walked into the bank around 1:15 p.m. approached and stabbed her. 

69-year-old Charlene Landsman was taken to the hospital in critical condition where she was later pronounced dead.

He was charged with second degree murder, but Tuesday a judge decided that Landsman did not understand the consequences of his actions and presents a risk to himself and others. 

Landsman will not be released and instead is being turned over to the Department of Health to be committed to an institution.


Louis Landsman was arrested Thursday for murder in the second degree, after he stabbed and killed a woman at a Lihue First Hawaiian Bank on Kauai.

Reports say the 34-year-old walked into the bank around 1:15 p.m., approached the woman and fatally stabbed her before he fled the scene on foot.

The victim is believed to be his 69-year-old mother, Charlene Landsman, who's was an employee at the bank. 

Charlene was taken to Wilcox Hospital in critical condition, where she was later pronounced dead.

Police found the suspect in the bank parking lot shortly after, where they arrested him and took him into custody.

First Hawaiian Bank issued a statement: 

Law enforcement has apprehended the suspect that fatally attacked one our employees in our Lihue Branch.  They have closed off the building and initiated their criminal investigation.

What happened this afternoon was a tragic loss of life. We mourn the loss of our team member and we will be working to provide support to all of our branch staff during this difficult time.

We ask that all questions regarding this tragic situation be addressed to law enforcement agencies. We are cooperating with state and local authorities. The Lihue branch will remain closed until law enforcement gives us permission to resume business operations.?

Louis remains in police cell-block. No bail has not yet been set.

Police are still investigating.