Jury finds Kenoi not guilty in theft trial
Not guilty. That's the verdict a jury handed down in Mayor Billy Kenoi's theft trial.
HILO, Hawaii - Not guilty. That's the verdict a jury handed down in Mayor Billy Kenoi's theft trial. The instant the ruling was announced, sobs could be heard throughout the courtroom.
From across the room, Kenoi turned toward jurors and thanked them. He shook hands and tightly embraced family and friends that came to support the mayor.
Kenoi was acquitted of four counts of theft and false statement under oath. Among the counts, two could've potentially put him behind bars.
Coming up tonight at 5, 6 & 10 we'll hear from Kenoi's defense attorney and also get reaction from the community.
What's your reaction to the verdict? Use #KenoiTrial on Twitter or click here to leave a comment on our Facebook post.
- Fate of Big Island mayor in hands of jurors
- Kenoi's trial continues Monday, does mayor have political future?
- Kenoi emotional on stand on final day of testimony
- Kenoi takes the stand in his defense in theft trial
- Day 4: Billy Kenoi Trial - Chef Sam Choy and former managing director take the stand
- Judge dismisses record tampering counts against Kenoi
- Recapping Day 1: Kenoi Felony Trial Begins