Sand available for Big Island residents preparing for Tropical Storm Olivia
Hawaii County Public Works has responded to a high volume of requests for sandbags.
HONOLULU (KITV) - Hawaii County Public Works has responded to a high volume of requests for sandbags in preparation for Tropical Storm Olivia.
Residents will be able to pick up sand at multiple locations beginning at 10 a.m. Tuesday to fill their own sandbags, but you must bring your own materials as shovels and sandbags will not be provided. If you are unable to purchase sandbags, heavy duty trash bags will also work.
The county asks that you only take what you need.
If you reuse your sandbags, make sure they are stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
Sand will be available for pickup at the following locations:
- Shultz Siding 630 E Lanikaula St., Hilo
- Mamalahoa Hwy and Jardin Rd.
- Honokaa Base Yard 45-3386 Mamane St.
- Cherry Trees (near Ke Ola Mau Loa Church) 65-1096 Mamalahoa Hwy
- N Kohala Base Yard 55-486 Hoea Rd.
- Waikoloa Community Park 68-1845 Puu Nui St.
- Ane Keohokalole Hwy south of Kealakehe Pkwy (Kailua side of Kealakehe HS)
- Captain Cook Base Yard 79-7320 Kuakini Hwy
- Yano Hall in Captain Cook 82-6156 Mamalahoa Hwy
- Waiohino Base Yard 95-1627 Kamaoa Rd.
- Pahala Park and Community Center 96-1149 Kamani St.
- Puna Base Yard 17-384 Volcano Rd.
- Puna Airfield Strip 15-2501 Keaau Pahoa Rd.
Sand piles picked up from Base Yards are only available during business hours.