(HAWAII ATHLETICS) – The No. 3 University of Hawai'i women's beach volleyball team firmly asserted itself as the conference's elite squad with a trio of wins at the Big West Challenge Saturday at Livermore Park. UH toppled No. 5 Long Beach State, No. 6 Cal Poly, and host Sacramento State to complete a 5-0 weekend in the tournament and extend its school-record win streak to 18 straight matches.
A day after blitzing Cal State Bakersfield and CSUN, UH (23-3) faced a stiffer test on Saturday with a pair of top 10 squads in Cal Poly (18-3) and Long Beach State (15-2). UH passed the test with flying colors. UH out-lasted Cal Poly, 4-1, in a match that went the distance on all five courts. Then after a 5-0 sweep of Sacramento State (1-11), the SandBows thoroughly dominated LBSU, 5-0, for UH's first-ever sweep of the 49ers in 17 all-time meetings.
The first match of the day versus Cal Poly (18-3) was a battle with all five courts extended to three sets. In the end, UH came out on top with Morgan Martin and Lea Monkhouse clinching the match at the No. 2 flight with a 21-13, 13-21, 15-13 nail-biter over Emily Sonny and Jessica Manley. UH claimed three of its four points after rallying from a set down. The 'Bows snapped Cal Poly's 14-match win streak and remained undefeated in seven all-time meetings with the Mustangs.
In the second match, UH trounced host Sacramento State with straight-set wins on each court. That set up a showdown vs. No. 5 Long Beach State who entered the match with a 15-1 mark. UH left little doubt in the victory with straight-set wins on four courts and a three-set win by Martin and Monkhouse to seal the shutout. UH handed LBSU just its second loss this season as the Rainbow Wahine have now defeated the 49ers in seven of the last eight matchups.
Emily Maglio and Ka'iwi Schucht won all three matches on the day and to extend their win streak to 14 matches, tying a school record. Maglio accomplished the feat in 2016 with partner Katie Spieler, while the duo Ari Homayun and Carly Kan also won 14 straight matches last season.
Maglio and Schucht aren't the only ones on a win streak. The tandem of Homayun and Amy Ozee also remain hot. With five wins this weekend, the pair moved their win streak to 12 straight.
The SandBows return home for three weekends of home events in April, beginning with the Queen's Cup. UH will host Loyola Marymount, Utah and Washington in the two-day tournament, April 7-8, at Queen's Beach.
Hawai'i 4, Cal Poly 1
1. Maglio/Schucht (UH) def. Torrey Van Winden/Tiadora Miric (CP) 20-22, 21-13, 15-13
2. Martin/Monkhouse (UH) def. Emily Sonny/Jessica Manley (CP) 21-13, 13-21, 15-13
3. Carly Kan/Laurel Weaver (UH) def. Adlee Van Winden/Taylor Nelson (CP) 15-21, 21-13, 15-9
4. Homayun/Ozee (UH) def. Macy Gordon/Raeann Greisen (CP) 15-21, 21-15, 15-9
5. Hannah Hubbard/Heather Pembroke (CP) def. Paige Dreeuws /Hannah Zalopany (UH) 21-17, 16-21, 15-13
Hawai'i 5, Sacramento State 0
1: Maglio/Schucht (UH) def. Sarah Davis/Mikaela Nocetti (SAC) 21-14, 21-12
2: Martin/Monkhouse (UH) def. Lana Brown/Kennedy Kurtz (SAC) 21-7, 21-12
3: Kan/Weaver (UH) def. Ashtin Olin/Hannah Meadows (SAC) 21-12, 21-9
4: Homayun/Ozee (UH) def. Skyler Takeda/Macey Hayden (SAC) 21-7, 21-15
5: Dreeuws/Zalopany (UH) def. Brigitte Murdock/Paige Swinney (SAC) 21-11, 21-10
Hawai'i 5, Long Beach State 0
1. Maglio/Schucht (UH) def. Nele Barber/Rachel Nieto (LBSU) 21-18, 21-15
2. Martin/ Monkhouse (UH) def. Sasha Karelov/Megan Kruidhof (LBSU) 21-18, 23-25, 15-10
3. Kan/ Weaver (UH) def. Kristyna Adamcikova/Hailey Harward (LBSU) 21-17, 21-10
4. Homayun/ Ozee (UH) def. Nicci Reinking/Zoi Konstantopoulou (LBSU) 21-16, 21-10
5. Dreeuws/ Zalopany (UH) def. Hannah Matt/Marisa Ramsey (LBSU) 21-10, 21-19