UH Softball Begins 2018 Season With Exhibition Doubleheader Vs. Josai (Tokyo)
Fans can get their first glimpse of the newly renovated Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium.
(Hawaii Athletics) - The University of Hawai'i softball team will kick of their 2018 season with an exhibition doubleheader on Sunday, Feb. 11 against Josai University from Tokyo, Japan. Fans can get their first glimpse of the newly renovated Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium.
Hawai'i is led by head coach Bob Coolen who is in his 27th season at the helm of the Rainbow Wahine program. The Rainbow Wahine return 15 letterwinners from last year's squad which finished with a 29-23 overall record and an 8-13 conference record to finish in seventh place in the Big West.
The doubleheader against Josai will be the only outside competition for the 'Bows before UH officially starts their season on the road at UNLV's Marruchi Desert Classic (Feb. 15-19). In Hawai'i's season opener, the 'Bows will take on No. 19/22 BYU on Feb. 15 in Las Vegas, Nev. It is the first time since 2002 and just the 13th time in program history that UH will start the DI season on the road. While in Las Vegas, they will take on BYU, Seattle, New Mexico, Utah State, Idaho State, Boise State and UNLV. From there, the team will travel to Los Angeles, Calif. to play in the LMU Tournament where they will play five games in three days from Feb. 22-24 against Loyola Marymount and Weber State.
The Rainbow Wahine will return for their official home opener against California on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 7:00 pm to begin the Texaco Malihini Kipa Aloha Tournament (Feb. 28-March 4). Joining UH and Cal in the tourney will be East Carolina, James Madison, Longwood, and UTEP.
Renovations to the Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium:
- Regraded field to install new AstroTurf in the outfield and new skinned infield
- Upgraded fencing and custom padding in the outfield
- New poles/safety netting for spectators, pedestrians, vehicles, and beach volleyball courts
- Higher poles/netting in the outfield to protect tennis courts
- Repainted entire stadium
- Upgraded ADA ramp
- Safety coating on walkways and stairs of stadium
- New flooring for dugouts
- New graphic banners facing outside the stadium under the bleachers
- Repainting/new fencing of rightfield batting house
- New storage shed built in the leftfield batting cage area
- New perimeter fencing
Teams: Hawai'i vs. Josai (Tokyo)
Date: Sunday, Feb. 11, 2018
Time: 1:00 pm (DH)
Site: Rainbow Wahine Softball Stadium (1,200) – Honolulu, O'ahu