Man injured in Napili structure fire
Neighbors had to help carry an 83-year-old disabled man from the home.
West Maui fire crews responded to a structure fire on Hale Malia Place in Napili Saturday night.
Firefighters from Napili arrived at 10:15 p.m. and found the detached garage at the front of a home on Hale Malia Place fully engulfed in flames. Crews brought the fire under control at 10:24 p.m. and called it fully extinguished around midnight Sunday morning.
Five adult family members were in the home when the fire broke out. An occupant discovered the fire and alerted the rest of the family. Neighbors had to help carry an 83-year-old disabled man from the home. Unfortunately, the man received moderate burns to his body while being carried from the home by neighbors.
He was transported to Maui Memorial Medical Center in stable condition and was the only one injured in the incident.
The cause of the fire could not be determined.
Damage to the 500 square foot garage and nearby main house was estimated at $130,000 to the structure. Loss to contents was estimated at $30,000.