Firefighters battled five fires at homes in Kailua overnight, and according to HFD investigators, four of those looked to be intentionally set, and they were occupied at the time. Damage done to the homes were relatively small. Both the fire and police departments are investigating.

At a press conference late Friday afternoon, Deputy Fire Chief Lionel Camara Jr. asked for the public's help if they saw any suspicious activity before any of the fires were set.

"We haven't had this string of events in a long time," he said. "These folks are going through homes that are occupied. We're really concerned. To do something like this is very brazen, and we're very concerned about that because they had no regard for life whatsoever."

The fires began just before 11 p.m. Thursday night and HFD units battled the blazes until nearly 2:30 Friday morning. The structures, from Enchanted Lake to Kailua town, are within five miles of each other.

The HFD gave a timeline of the fires at a press conference late Friday afternoon. Three of the fires were taken care of by single units: At 10:51 p.m. at a Hui Street address, 2:01 a.m. at a Kawainui Street address, and 11 minutes later, a fire at a Maluniu Avenue address.

Two of the biggest fires began a half-hour apart of each other.

A fire reported at 11:14 p.m. on Naniali'i Street began in a detached garage of a single-story house. It was brought under control 10 minutes later and fully extinguished by 12:20 a.m.

An adult female occupant was home at the time of the fire and was able to evacuate the building prior to the arrival of the HFD. She suffered no injuries. 

After that, a two-alarm building fire was reported on Wana'ao Road. Neighbors who witnessed that fire say they heard it began in the laundry room of the single-story residential structure. 

The fire was brought under control at 12:29 a.m. and fully extinguished by 12:43 a.m. 

It was reported that five people were home at the time and were alerted to the fire by a smoke detector. Occupants were able to pull an adult female out through a window prior to the arrival of firefighters. A female was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and transferred to EMS personnel by 11:55 p.m.  

The American Red Cross was dispatched to assist the displaced family.