Former Notre Dame football player Manti Te'o has been named the second most-disliked athlete in America, according to a poll by Nielsen Sports and market research firm E-Poll.
Forbes said Te'o was in a virtual dead heat for most disliked athlete, each with 15 percent public appeal in the survey. However, Armstrong was pushed to the top of the list because he has a higher name recognition.
The financial magazine said that although the online girlfriend hoax apparently wasn't his idea, most people feel he embellished the extent of the relationship for personal attention.
Candidates on the list were limited to active athletes with a minimum of 10 percent awareness.
Te'o's appeal rating went from 88 percent to 15 percent almost overnight, according to Forbes.
The following is the full list of disliked athletes:
- Lance Armstrong - 15% appeal
- Manti Te'o, University of Notre Dame linebacker - 15% appeal
- Tiger Woods, golfer - 19% appeal
- Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears quarterback - 20% appeal
- Metta World Peace, Los Angeles Lakers forward - 21% appeal
- Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees third baseman - 22% appeal
- Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback - 23% appeal
- Kurt Busch, NASCAR driver - 27% appeal
- Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers guard - 27% appeal
- Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys quarterback - 27% appeal