The Hawaii State Dept. of Health determined that contaminated spaghetti was the culprit of an outbreak of sick kids at Waipahu Elementary Dec. 10.
In a release issued Monday, the DOH concluded that a portion of the spaghetti served at the school was either improperly reheated that morning or was not adequately cooled the day before, allowing bacteria to grow within the Italian cuisine.
"An inspection and interviews with cafeteria employees revealed food preparation violations that could be corrected with proper training and follow through," said Peter Oshiro, DOH Sanitation Branch Chief. "We understand the school closed the cafeteria to retrain their food service staff and ensure safe food practices."
That bad spaghetti gave about 40 kids and two adults food poisoning and required the hospitalization of 25 of those affected, according to EMS.
DOH's Food Safety Program is conducting food safety training for Waipahu Elementary cafeteria staff and management.
Waipahu Elementary School Principal Gary Chun commented on the news. "While this was an isolated incident, our staff has and continues to fully cooperate with health officials in ensuring best practices."
During the health investigation, meals were brought in to Waipahu Elementary from a neighboring school. This will continue for the remainder of this week until the school's cafeteria crew completes health safety training.