Police identify body in Wailuku house fire
MPD: Silva was suffering from mental issues he believed caused by former state job
Maui County police have identified the man who died in a fire at a Wailuku home as 52-year-old Hal Silva.
On Wednesday at around 6:19 a.m., officers responded to a possible abuse in progress on Kakae Place after neighbors reported hearing yelling and gunshots.
Upon arrival, officers were advised that Silva set his home on fire and fired gunshots within the home. Officers saw flames in the rear of the house and hear several gunshots, according to police.
Silva's remains were found after fire crews extinguished the flames. Three dead dogs were also found in the home along with an injured dog.
Silva's wife was at home at the time of the incident and called police as Silva began dousing the home with gasoline and began shooting their dogs, according to investigators.
Police say Silva was suffering from mental health issues which he believed was caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from his past employment with the state.
Investigators are continuing to interview family, friends, and neighbors to find a motive.
Police say no other person was injured or harmed and this is not a domestic violence-related investigation.
An autopsy will be conducted to find Silva's exact cause of death.
Click here to read the initial report of the fire.
Copyright 2013 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.