The price of milk is expected to increase this summer for local and mainland milk.
A drought in Northern California is causing milk prices on the mainland to go up. Local milk experts say that spike could make it here to the islands since 85 percent of the milk in Hawaii is imported. The other 15 percent is from local producers who say feed prices have increased due to the drought.
"We are anticipating this summer and fall as crops harvested, that prices will move up considerably on feed prices and that will impact the milk prices by some that may pass through to consumers," said Corey Gillins of Big Island Dairy.
Producers estimate the cost could go up 10 to 25 cents a gallon.