A family was left homeless on New Year's Eve after a fire destroyed their Palolo home.
Neighbors say the home was gone in what feltlike minutes.
Fire officials say someone in the home on 10th Avenue left a stove burner on.
"Oh it was huge flames. It was obvious the house was... toast," said neighbor Todd Grimes.
Hanky Kaolulo has a 92-year-old grandmother inside the home right next door. He knew it was too late to save the burning home. He started worrying about his home!
"Adrendaline was pumping. I got my water hose here trying to help out. Shoot the house [with water]. Help in whatever way," said Kaolulo. "Shoot my boat; shoot my house and, hopefully, doesn't catch on fire. Try and save my car."
Making matters worse, firefighters got a late start on this. The fire broke out at the same time neighbors were out shooting fireworks. It took neighbors a while to discover something was wrong.
"There were a lot of firecrackers that were being used, which makes it difficult to smell a fire from the kitchen," said Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Terry Seelig. "And also it's noisy, so that could also mask the sound of the fire."
Firefighters arrived too late to save the home. Kaolulo's house next door is OK.
The house was a total loss. No injuries were reported.