Professional light shows lit up the skies on New Year's Eve, but, for some, that wasn't enough. They wanted their own fireworks.
In some cases, they proved fireworks are best left to the professionals.
One incident involved a 5-year-old boy in Ka'a'awa. The boy had minor burns to his hand and wrist.
"An aerial firework exploded in his hand. The 5-year-old could've been a lot worse. We are grateful," said Emergency Medical Services spokeswoman Shayne Enright.
"Really can't have young children using firework. It's not legal and it's not a good idea for this obvious reason that it can lead to injury," said Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Terry Seelig.
Under the 2011 city ordinance, no one under 18 can set fireworks in the City & County of Honolulu. That means no sparklers or novelty items -- just firecrackers.
"Since the ordinance was passed and took effect in 2011, we've seen a downturn in the number of fireworks-related events," said Seelig.
HFD had 284 calls on New Year's Eve, down from more than 300 last year. Out of all the fire emergencies, about one-third were due to fireworks. EMS also had fewer calls.
People noticed the skies were calmer this year, even though there were sporadic light in the sky that pointed to signs the people still had illegal fireworks.
"There was no smoke this year. Last year, there was more smoke. You could see it from up on the apartment," said Avian Ku.
"This year a lot less people were out in the streets doing their own -- their families watching. Had little dinky ones they throw out and not very impressive and not as many," said Teresa Choe.
EMS had almost 20 fewer calls than last year. There weren't as many calls for difficulty breathing or fireworks-related injuries.