More Hawaii residents are definitely planning at least one summer vacation this year compared with 20011, according to the AAA Hawaii Annual Summer Travel Survey.
The poll says 57 percent of local residents said they definitely plan at least one summer trip, which is a 7 percent increase from last year.
Thirty-three percent of those polled said they will definitely not travel this summer. Ten percent are undecided.
Among those vacationing this summer, 60 percent said that high gas prices are affecting their travel plans very little or not at all.
According to the poll, the top summer travel destinations are as follows:
- Las Vegas - 20 percent
- The Big Island - 17 percent
- Los Angeles - 15 percent
- Oahu - 14 percent
- Maui - 13 percent
- Seattle - 12 percent
- San Francisco - 11 percent
The top way that Hawaii travelers are adjusting for high gas prices in their travel budgets include the following:
- Picking a destination that allows a family/friends stay instead of a hotel - 15 percent
- Economizing on the vacation meal budget - 13 percent
- Not taking as many trips - 12 percent
- Destination closer to home - 10 percent
- Cutting back on other household expenses to afford vacation - 10 percent
The number of summer trips that Hawaii residents plan to take this year compared to last year are as follows:
- One trip: 54 percent (59 percent last year)
- Two: 34 percent (28 percent last year)
- Three: 11 percent (12 percent last year)
- Four: 1 percent (1 percent last year)
The top reasons that the 19 percent of non-travelers this summer are not taking a vacation are as follows:
- Too many other expenses/bills - 46 percent
- Taking a leisure trip at another time of year - 39 percent
- Rising prices for travel - 28 percent
- High gas prices - 19 percent
- Reduced household income - 18 percent
376 AAA Hawaii members were surveyed online by the AAA Hawaii Marketing Research Department from May 17 to May 29, 2012. The survey has a +/- 5.0 percent margin of error. "Summer travel" was defined in the survey as a non-business trip in June, July or August of more than 50 miles one way from home and requiring at least one overnight stay.