Pahoa fire injures woman; 4 left homeless
Unattended candle caused blaze that destroyed home
Hawaii County officials say a 31-year-old woman suffered second-degree burns after a small house in Pahoa was destroyed by fire early Wednesday morning.
Fire crews were called just before 3:30 a.m. to Kona Street. A 10-foot-by-14-foot structure was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, according to fire officials.
The woman burned her hands while trying to leave the home. She was taken to Hilo Medical Center in stable condition.
The other occupants in the home, a man and the woman who owns the home, were able to leave the home without injury. A toddler also lives in the home.
Damage was estimated at $20,000.
Fire investigators say an unattended candle caused the fire.
Copyright 2013 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.