Area residents said the owner of the Self Lane home was hospitalized for a wound in his abdomen, a neighbor suffered serious wound to his leg, and another party guest was hurt in his chest.
Lewis was debating whether to seek further treatment for his wound. He was definitely rethinking whether the traditional New Year’s fire show is worth the risk.
City emergency officials said they responded to 186 calls over the New Year’s eve holiday.
The number of calls is down from previous years, and there were no fatalities or critical cases.
But officials believe there are a number of fireworks related injuries that go unreported.
"The point is there were people who were just standing there minding their own business and they were injured by someone else's carelessness," said EMS administrator Patty Duke.
The Honolulu Fire Department said there were fewer fireworks related calls this year compared to previous years.
This was the first year that a ban on aerial lanterns or aerial luminaries went into effect.
"It’s not an acceptable risk to have. As wonderful as it might look it really exposes the community to potential harm so it is no longer legal," said Capt. Terry Seelig.
The ban on personal fireworks was passed two years ago.