It was a night Kalihi resident Daniel Lewis will remember for a long time.
It was a New Year's celebration that went awry.
"I don’t know what to say. I am just thankful my kids didn't get hit that’s all," said Lewis.
Lewis was 50 to 75 feet away from the blast that his uncle’s neighbor was setting off.
He was filming the amateur pyrotechnics show when the aerial fireworks misfired and Lewis said he felt something hit his leg and now he is nursing a nasty bruise.
"It started out just minor and all of a sudden it got bigger and bigger and darker and a little pain here, but I think I will be OK," he said.
Lewis's wife and children were much closer to the blast and the video he shot captured the scene moments after she felt something graze her shoulder.
"My aunties and uncles thought I was just joking when I told them I got hit," said Angel Lewis.
"I am still shaken up and that I was holding my daughter. The mere fact that I was holding her. We didn't even buy fireworks. We were just watching them and we were hurt," Lewis said.
Firecracker paper littered the narrow lane where the fireworks show took place.