Milk prices could increase over the summerUPDATED 10:39 AM HST Feb 26, 2014Video Transcript
That milk in your coffee and bowl of cereal in the morning could cost more this summer. The drought in northern California is causing milk prices on the mainland to go up. Local milk experts say we could see that price hike here--- since 85 percent of our milk here is imported. The other 15 percent is from local producers who say feed prices have increased due to the drought. Corey Gillins, Big Island Dairy GM IN: 42:20 WE ARE ANTICIPATING THIS SUMMER AND FALL AS CROPS AS HARVESTED THAT PRICES WILL MOVE UP CONSIDERABLY ON FEED PRICES AND THAT WILL IMPACT THE MILK PRICES BY SOME THAT MAY PAST THROUGH CONSUMERS 42:38 Producers estimate the cost could go up 10 -25 cents a gallon.