Two men indicted over last year's deadly Waikele bunker fireworks explosion made their first appearance in federal court Thursday.
The men, along with Donald Enterprises, Inc., were accused of treating hazardous waste without a permit as well as conspiracy for their alleged involvement in storing and disposing of commercial grade fireworks seized by police.
Both men pleaded not guilty on Thursday.
Carlton Finley, the project manager for DEI, declined to comment on the indictment.
An attorney for Charles Donaldson, the director of operations for DEI, said, "First and foremost, the explosion that took place and the resulting deaths are a terrible, tragic event. At the same time, it was an accident. Nothing leading up to the explosion was criminal."
According to the families of the five men killed, Donaldson has not said anything to them about the incident.