Maui police said a 15-year-old Kahului boy died from an overdose of prescription pain medication Thursday.
Officers were called to a Kahului residence just before 1:30 p.m. for an unresponsive teen.
An investigation revealed that the teenager brought the medication to a party at the residence the night before and offered it to those at the party.
The teen and a 19-year-old man were seen taking the medication along with beer early Thursday morning.
The 19-year-old man was transported to Maui Memorial Medical Center for treatment. He was held overnight for observation. The man was upgraded to stable condition and was expected to be released on Friday.
The owner of the residence was not on Maui and was unaware that people had broken into his home without his permission to have a beer party. The owner did not give anyone permission to enter or remain on his property while out of town.
Police said the investigation is ongoing.