Man, 59, hospitalized at Sand Island Coast Guard station
EMS: Patient apparently exposed to carbon dioxide from vessel's fire suppression system
A 59-year-old man was hospitalized in serious condition Thursday at the U.S. Coast Guard station at Sand Island, according to Emergency Medical Services officials.
Paramedics were called at around 11:30 a.m.
The man was apparently exposed to carbon dioxide released from a fire suppression system on a Coast Guard vessel.
The Coast says the man was a contract worker injured while working on the Cutter Kukui.
Coast Guard officials say, at one point, the man was unconscious. He was revived and taken away by paramedics.
Fire officials say the fire suppression system on the ship releases its entire load of carbon dioxide at once. It pushes away oxygen, and the man passed out because he didn't have oxygen.
The man hospitalized was the only person injured.
Copyright 2013 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.