Kuhio Beach in Waikiki won a regional award for the "Best of the Best Restored Beach" online contest which allowed people from around the world to vote for their favorite restored beach.
The American Shore & Beach Preservation Association sponsored the contest.
Kuhio Beach won the restored beach regional award for South Central Pacific coast and Hawaii Beaches.
Here are some of the other results:
- Top urban beach: West Hampton Dunes, NY
- Top community beach: Navarre Beach, FL (also garnering the highest overall vote total)
- Top park/habitat beach: Presque Isle, PA
Here are the winners of the regional categories, with the top three winners excluded:
- Northeast Beaches: East Beach, Norfolk, VA
- Northwest Beaches: Marine Park, Bellingham, WA
- Southeast Beaches: Isle of Palms, SC
- Florida Gulf Coast Beaches: Captiva Island, FL
- Northern and Western Gulf Coast Beaches: Corpus Christi, TX
- Great Lakes Beaches: Sunrise Beach Park, IL
American Shore & Beach Preservation Association President Harry Simmons singled out Panama City, FL for a special President's Award, citing the strong community support.
The goal of the contest was to make more people aware of the substantial benefits and widespread prevalence of restored beaches on all of America's coasts.
Winning beach communities will be honored at a special ceremony during the 2013 ASBPA National Coastal Summit, held in Washington, DC, Feb. 26-28.
Complete descriptions of each of the beaches who were in the running for Best-of-the-Best Beach are online at www.asbpa.org.