Kailua man shocked by down power lineUPDATED 6:54 AM HST Dec 02, 2013Video Transcript
to the hospital in critical condition this morning after being shocked by a downed power line in Kailua. Witnesses say the power line fell on the man's van and began smoking. Firefighters say he was approaching the van with a fire extinguisher when he was shocked several feet away. Jim Vanderkamp: "SON CAME RUNNING OUT, HE THOUGHT HIS VAN WAS ON FIRE. HAD A FIRE EXTINGUISHER, HE WAS GOING TO PUT IT OUT. AS HE GOT CLOSE TO IT, HE WAS SHOCKED AND KNOCKED BACKWARDS UNCONSCOUS. HIS MOM AND HIS GRANDMOTHER AND HIS GRANDFATHER CAME OUT TO TRY TO HELP HIM AND THEY ALL GOT SHOCKED." The National Weather Service says strong winds from a thunderstorm brought down the line, knocking out power to 17-hundred homes in the area. HECO says electricity has been restored.