A morning fire in Mililani nearly claimed the lives of four family pets, had it not been the help of some quick thinking Good Samaritans.
Marty Sarabano noticed smoke coming out of his neighbors home on Kuauli Street Wednesday morning. When he came to investigate he heard his neighbors' dogs inside.
"The dogs were barking, no they were crying." said Sarabano.
Neighbors say a mom and son live in the townhouse but they were not there.
Sarabano and another neighbor kicked in the front door to save the dogs.
"I talk to her all the time, those dogs are like her babies," said neighbor Jillian Jenkins.
Jenkins and Sarabano rescued two of the four pets. The other two were too far way to reach. While they waited for fire crews to arrive Sarabano used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames in the kitchen.
"I just went crazy and just shot (the extinguisher) all in there," said Sarabano.
Firefighters came shortly after and were able to save the third dog, but the fourth died. Investigators say the fire from an electrical malfunction in the kitchen. Because of the damage, the family is staying with loved ones.
The apartment manager says the quick thinking of the two men also prevented the fire from spreading to nearby units.