Foster Village house fire caused by electrical malfunction

Major damage to home; 2 vehicles destroyed

Published  3:27 PM HST Mar 15, 2013
House fire
HONOLULU -

The Honolulu Fire Department fire investigators have completed their investigation of the fire at a home on Kukila Street in Foster Village and have determined that the fire accidentally began in the garage and was caused by an electrical malfunction in a wall outlet.

The Kukila Street fire occurred on Wednesday at approximately 5:32 p.m.  Firefighters found the front half of the home engulfed in flames and began a rapid fire attack while also protecting neighboring homes.  Firefighters had the fire under control by 5:55 p.m. and extinguished by 8:03 p.m.

The fire caused extensive damage to the house and destroyed two vehicles parked in the driveway.

Fire investigators estimated the damage at $350,000 to the house and its contents and $25,000 to the two vehicles.  Firefighters confined the fire to the house where it began and there was no damage to other structures.

Four people home at the time of the fire were able to escape without injury.  The occupants became aware of the fire and exited through the rear of the structure and sought refuge in a park behind their home.  The American Red Cross responded to provide assistance for the displaced occupants.

PHOTOS: Crews fight Foster Village fire
1 of 10

The first call for the fire on Kukila Street came in at around 5:30 p.m.

Previous
Next

Click here to see pictures from the Foster Village fire on your mobile device.

Do you want to print this page now?