Attorneys: Accused 'Wonder Blunder' mastermind has nothing to hide
Trial set for late January
Surrounded by attorneys, strolling down the sidewalk, 44-year-old Marc Hubbard walked into U.S. District court on Friday in plain sight.
"Mr. Hubbard, any words today?" asked KITV reporter Lara Yamada.
"No comment," said his attorney.
Hubbard, from North Carolina, pleaded not guilty to one count of felony wire fraud, three weeks after his associate pleaded guilty to his role in the Stevie Wonder concert that never happened.
"Mr. Hubbard said he had connections with management and inner circle of Stevie Wonder's management," said U.S. Attorney Florence Nakakuni.
Prosecutors believe that was the lie Hubbard told his associates Sean Barriero and Helen Williams, that ultimately cost the University of Hawaii $200,000.
Earlier this month, Barriero admitted that instead of wiring the money into an escrow account, he put it into his business account, where the trio quickly divvied up the money and spent it.
"We're very early in the process. We're going to receive and review the government's evidence We're going to review with our client and answer the evidence in court at the appropriate time," said Hubbard's attorney Michael Purpura.
Less than an hour after he walked in, Hubbard walked out, his attorney's saying, this show, shows their client has nothing to hide.
"The purpose of our trip is obviously to demonstrate as we had predicted that he was not a flight risk. He will be back here. He respects the court and respects the process. He's a legitimate businessman," said Hubbard's attorney Peter Anderson.
If convicted, Hubbard faces up to 20 years in prison. His trial in Hawaii has been scheduled for Jan. 29. He's out on bond until then.
Copyright 2012 by KITV All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.