15 left homeless after Kapalama home damaged from fire

Fire officials: Flames started from the heating of cooking oil; fire extinguisher caused flames to spread

 UPDATED 5:59 PM HST Apr 30, 2013
HONOLULU -

Honolulu fire crews responded to a house fire late Monday in Kapalama.

The blaze broke out at 3-story home on Hala Drive near Houghtailing Street just before 9:30 p.m.

Crews arrived to flames and heavy smoke coming from the bottom floor, according to fire officials.

Fire officials say the flames started after someone was heating oil to fry some food in the

That person tried to control the blaze with an extinguisher, but officials say it caused the fire to spread.

Fifteen residents from five families were displaced due to the fire.  No one was injured.

Damage is estimated at $185,000.

The Honolulu Fire Department reminds the public to always have a lid to cover a pan or pot that is used to heat oil.  When you slide it over the top of a container with burning cooking oil it will smother the fire.

Never shoot a fire extinguisher or water into a container of burning cooking oil -- it will splatter and spread the fire outside of the pot.

PHOTOS: Damage at Kapalama house fire
1 of 6

Honolulu fire crews responded to a house fire late Monday in Kapalama.  The blaze broke out at 3-story home on Hala Drive near Houghtailing Street just before 9:30 p.m.

Previous
Next

Click here to see pictures from the scene.

There is a special fire extinguisher called a class K specifically used to fight cooking oil fires.

Do you want to print this page now?