As the H1 Freeway Rehabilitation Project nears completion, lane closures are scheduled to allow for the installation of the new fourth lane in the westbound direction and for continuing work in the eastbound direction, according to the Hawaii Department of Transportation.
Upcoming work will include light pole removals and installations, electrical conduit relocations and wall demolition and reconstruction.
Friday, July 11
• Various eastbound ramp closures on Friday night through Sunday morning from midnight to 8 a.m., nightly, to include the Kalihi Street Off-Ramp (Exit 20A), Kalihi Street On-Ramp, Liliha Street On-Ramp and Pali Highway Off-Ramp (Exit 21A).
Saturday, July 12
• One right lane will be closed in the westbound direction from the Houghtailing Street Off-Ramp (Exit 20B) to the Gulick Avenue Overpass beginning at 7 a.m. Saturday morning continuously until 5 a.m. Monday morning for barrier wall demolition and reconstruction. The Likelike Highway Off-Ramp (Exit 20A) will remain open. Two of the three westbound lanes will remain open.
• All Makai bound traffic on Kalihi St. from School St. to King St. will be closed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. The Kalihi St. on-ramp to the H-1 Westbound and the Makai bound Kalihi St. on-ramp to the H-1 Eastbound will be closed. The mauka bound lanes on Kalihi St. will remain open.
• The right lane on the H-1 Westbound from the Likelike off-ramp to the Gulick Ave. overpass will be closed at 7 a.m. This lane closure will stay in place until 5 a.m. Monday morning until work is completed.
• Daytime ramp closures will occur at the Kalihi Street (Likelike Highway) on-and-off-ramps, along with lane closures on the Kalihi Street Overpass on Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. During these hours, the H-1 eastbound Liliha Street On-Ramp and the Pali Highway Off-Ramp (Exit 21A) will also be closed.
• In the Eastbound direction, the Punchbowl off-ramp and Pali on-ramp will be closed from midnight to 8 a.m. Sunday. All lanes on the Eastbound freeway will remain open.
Sunday, July 13
• Full westbound closures and partial eastbound closures will resume from the vicinity of Middle Street to the vicinity of Ward Avenue on Sunday night until Friday morning, from 8 p.m. to 5 a.m., nightly.
• The Eastbound Likelike off-ramp, along with all Mauka bound traffic on Kalihi St. from King St. to School St. will be closed between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. Both the Mauka and Makai bound Kalihi St. on- ramps to the H-1 Eastbound will be closed. The Westbound Likelike off-ramp will remain open.
Monday, July 14
• Beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, the H1 Freeway westbound on-ramp from Kalihi Street (Likelike Highway) will be closed daily except during morning rush-hours. It will be open only from 5 to 9 a.m. on weekdays. At all other hours it will be closed. This schedule will continue through Friday, July 25. If work is completed sooner, the lane closures will be reduced. Motorists wishing to access the H-1 or H-201 Freeways westbound are advised to use North School Street to the next available on-ramps on Middle Street. Click here for a map.
The H1 Freeway Rehab Project from the vicinity of Middle Street to the Vicinity of Ward Aveune is reconstructing one of the oldest sections of the H-1 Freeway through the Honolulu corridor that averages up to 200,000 vehicles a day. It will provide a durable, smooth riding surface, upgrade lighting and drainage, install median glare screens, and increase traffic capacity by adding a fourth lane in each direction through widening and restriping. The Hawaii Department of Transportation is cautiously optimistic for substantial project completion by July 31.
For detailed closure information and alternate route maps, visit H1Rehab.com. I n addition there are many other state highways projects in progress, please check the roadwork section of the Hawaii DOT website at hidot.hawaii.gov for all closures.