A small fire in the Pan Am Building on Kapiolani Boulevard has led to massive flooding damage from the building's sprinkler system Thursday.
Honolulu Fire Department Capt. Terry Seelig says the fire department was alerted to the fire by a call for an audible fire alarm on the 13th floor of the Pan Am Building.
When crews arrived, they found that the building's sprinkler system had already put out the fire in the Dentech International Lab. However, the triggered the entire floor's sprinkler system causing widespread flooding.
Businesses on the 13th floor have been closed, but tenants on the 12th floor are assessing whether they will be able to open for business on a case by case basis.
Shawn Bush's financial services office next door to DenTech International was one of those flooded.
"The water was probably at least about half an inch deep. When I walked in here, my socks actually got soaked," said Bush.
Bush considers himself lucky he lost only a couple of boxes from water damage.
"It was the worst feeling. I mean I thought I was going to come in here and I thought there was going to be 10 thousand dollars worth of damage and I wouldn't be here in the office for two weeks, but I'm here and I'll be here tomorrow," said Bush.
One tenant on the 11th floor suffered enough damage to decide to close for the day, while businesses on the 10th floor suffered some minor ceiling and carpet damage.
Seelig tells KITV4 News the fire was started by a piece of malfunctioning dental cleaning equipment.