Maui County officials on Sunday evening announced the closures of parks around the islands as crews prepare for the arrival of Tropical Storm Felicia.
Officials urge residents to be vigilant despite Felicia's waning strength.
"I just don't want people to feel like it's not a hurricane we don't have to worry. Everybody should still be preparing if a tropical storm or tropical depression it's still a serious weather event and we need to be prepared," Maui Mayor Charmaine Tavares said.
The county closed several beaches and parks by 4 p.m. including Honomanu, Keanae and Kipahulu Point Light Station.
Officials said they will also close other parks on Monday.
- All County campgrounds will be closed by noon Monday: Kanaha and? Papalaua on Maui, and One Alii and Papohaku on Molokai.
- All County-sponsored recreation programs will be canceled Monday afternoon and evening.?
- Swimming pools will be closed by noon Monday.
- Haleakala National Park backcountry travel to end Monday.
- Haleakala National Park's Visitor Center at Kipahulu will close early on Monday and may remain closed Tuesday.
- Beaches at Alelele and Nuu will also be closed due to the potential for high surf.
- Pipiwai Trail and the pools at Oheo will be closed beginning Monday afternoon.
- Waiehu Golf Course may close pending weather conditions.
- Other County parks will be assessed for closure on Monday.
County crews are preparing for the storm. Some equipment is being moved into locations around the islands in case it is needed, officials said.
"I appreciate the efforts of the many organizations that have collaborated with us to make storm preparations," Tavares said. "My administration has been taking the threat of this storm seriously. We have three islands to look out for and many areas that are very remote."
The county said it will begin opening shelters at 4 p.m. on Monday.
- Baldwin High School Gym (P/S)
- War Memorial Gym
- Lahaina Civic Center
- Eddie Tam Gym?
- Haiku Community Center
- Kihei Community Center (P/S)
- Hana School Gym?
- Molokai High School Gym
- Kilohana School
- Lanai High School Gym?